Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sea of Mud II: The Weedening

Have you seen this weed?



Because we sure as heck have; it's every-freaking-where. As the sea of mud begins to dry, these things are popping up anywhere there's bare dirt. It vastly, vastly outnumbers any other weed out there.

And there's another thing we're idiots about -- weeds. I know dandelions, tansy ragwort, crabgrass and pigweed by name. There are a few others I know by sight: the groundcovery one with the purple flowers and pods that shoot seeds; the feathery one that looks sort of like carrots; the various ones that look sort of like dandelions but aren't. And the thing is, the common weeds are so common, you hate to even ask anyone about them -- you sound like a moron. But you have to know your weeds in order to fight them, especially if you're anti-Roundup. For the moment we're pulling up as many as we can, and trying to figure out some kind of cheap cover crop we can plant that might smother them out.

So, if anybody knows what this thing is and maybe a magical trick to kill it without poison or, you know, effort, please let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried a Google image search to ID the weed? I thought it was something called Pig's Ear, but I think that might've been a "regional" name (I'm in Ontario) and image search yeilded nothing... colour me stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah -- it was really hard to find when all I know about it is that it's got white flowers and a weird sort of ribbed stem. We finally found out what it is by asking A's brother.

    There's another, really pretty yellow, wildflower(?) around here I'm really interested in and thought it might be one of the oil crops (canola, safflower, mustard, etc.) but GIS proved only it was none of those. I'll post photos soon in hopes someone knows -- it's quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting and commenting, BTW. :)

    ReplyDelete